Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A Short Trip into Painting and Collage

 

I love to paint...and I love to collage! I got out a canvas board and started painting, stamping, stenciling and collaging a background. Then I collaged an enlarged vintage photo I found on Pinterest. I added a paper doily for a sleeve, highlighted the necklace with my favorite opal glitter paint and some rhinestones, and hot glued a big bunch of silk flowers on her head. 

 
Next I got a smaller canvas board and started with a wonderful piece of  wallpaper that had silver stars on it, added some torn sheet music, covered a large jigsaw puzzle piece with decorative paper, and on top of that I added an Altoid tin lid decorated with fortune telling graphics, some tarot cards, a wheel of fortune, and a fortune cookie paper fortune. The red rose prints around the edges were printed on clear printer transparencies, also collaged on with glue.
 

For my next project I decided I wanted to make some decorated journals. I found a bunch of the theme books at the dollar store and started decorating the front and back covers with hand-painted paper. Each journal features a large floor jigsaw puzzle piece as the base for the center embellishment.
 

I used a fabric polka dot bias trim around the edge and put a framed graphic in the center. I also added a pen holder to the front of each, and papered pockets on the inside of both the front and back covers.
 




 
I also found a smaller journal to add an Asian graphic, some vintage Asian foil decorations and a bit of gold striped ribbon around the edge.

 
My artists' group was having a Valentine card exchange, so I made one of quilted cloth over a Timtex base. I added one of my very favorite graphics, a ribbon rosette I had made, and a glittered heart.
When two of my granddaughters, Sarah and Tawni,  wanted to come over for a craft session during last summer, I decided to give them each a canvas board and a bunch of paint, graphics, scrapbook paper, and silk flowers. I was thrilled to see what they came up with, and they seemed to really enjoy the project.

 
Sarah proudly displays her lovely collage, which she made to hang on the wall in her bedroom.
 
 
Below, Tawni holds her lovely creation, also destined to be hung in her bedroom. She stamped the surface with French stamps and added tags and other trims to make it Oh La La Parisian!
 

I think they both did a fabulous job!

 
The Phoebes had a cigar box challenge, and I met it by covering mine with an assortment of paper, punched butterflies, lace and ribbon.
 

I added Tim Holtz feet to it and have been using it to collect all the sweet thank-you notes the granddaughters send to me for hand-made gifts I give them, costumes I made for them, and for sewing lessons and craft "play days" we have together.

 
My son Mike and his family invited me to a mini vacation to Inverness near Bodega Bay this past summer. I brought with me a tub of cigar boxes and materials so that granddaughters Emily, Suzette and Giselle could make themselves decorated cigar boxes like I had done.  Below is the one Emily made. It looks like a cake good enough to eat!
 

She posted the photos below on her Facebook page.
 

Below is a collage of photos taken of us at Inverness. A very special time for me. I absolutely love crafting with them... they are all so amazingly creative and have such wonderfully original ideas... they are all an inspiration to me!


I am so blessed!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment